ASK Care Team: Mondays & Thursdays 1:00 – 4:00pm
The ASK Team
The ASK Team is a ministry composed of members and friends of Christ Church of Oak Brook who provide Advice, Support and Knowledge for adults, caregivers, and those with special needs from the church and the community.
The ASK Ministry was founded to assist those with needs by linking them with the many services, agencies, ministries, and the individuals that could help them. The ministry began in October 2001 and since its inception, ASK has helped in over 3700 situations by providing information on diverse topics such as medical equipment, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, in-home caregivers, in-home nursing, doctors, dentists, transportation, meals, legal assistance, case management, chore services, elder abuse, hospice, respite care, counseling, job searches, grief support, and caregiver support.
On Monday and Thursday afternoons, 1-4pm, trained Team members and ASK staff members meet in the ASK office to assist confidentially those who contact ASK with needs. Questions are received by the ASK Team (630-321-6770) in person or voicemail.
The Mission of the Christ Church Connexion Ministry is to contact adults who are identified in the Christ Church of Oak Brook member list as being 80 years and older. The purpose of the contact is to share the love of Christ by maintaining a connection with as well as recognizing and attempting to meet the needs of His people as they age.
About 22 members of the Connexion Team keep in touch with over 800 older adults who live in Illinois. Requests for pastoral visits, needs for practical help, etc. are shared with appropriate sources as necessary, and often just listening to and talking with the older adult helps to meet their needs. "No senior left behind."
The mission of the Legacy Team project from Christ Church is to provide opportunities for Christians to share experiences and circumstances that enriched their faith in Jesus Christ with the hope that these stories will encourage others to seek a deeper relationship with Him.
Twice per year, in November and May, the Legacy Team publishes "Lives Transformed: Sharing Faith Journeys," a booklet featuring the faith journeys of Christians with the hope that their stories will impact the lives of others. The Team consists of interviewers, transcribers, writers, and editors, all serving together to publish booklets that illustrate how God can transform the life of someone who chooses to believe, worship, and trust in Him. "Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs."
Fun, focus, Christian Fellowship and Food!
You are invited to pop into the Pop-in Place on Monday mornings from 10-12 to enjoy Christian fellowship, Bible Study, and refreshments. Bring old friends or meet new ones, explore volunteer opportunities, focus on studying the Bible, or relax with a cup of coffee - just pop in Room 261!
Some questions asked of ASK Volunteers:
- Where can I find a live-in person to take care of my 92-year-old Mother?
- Where can I find an adult daycare program?
- I'm 68 and taking care of my 89-year-old mother, who has Alzheimer's, disease, and I'm exhausted. Are there support programs for the caregiver?
- How do I have meals delivered to my door (Meals on Wheels)?
- Taking care of my home is becoming a burden. Is it time to look into assisted living?
- I'm living on a fixed income and can no longer pay the rent. What should I do?
- My daughter is not treating me nicely. How do I get help?
- When is it appropriate to call 911?
- How do I handle the confusion caused by my mother's memory loss? I'm not sure the information I get from her is accurate.
- I haven't filed my tax return for last year. What do I do and where can I get help?
- I need to get out of the house. What activities are offered for seniors?